Permissions to run a PT business from home

Following on from our last blog 3 Steps to the perfect at-home personal training business

If you have read our previous two blog in this series you may be getting very excited about the prospect of running a personal training business from your home. But before you rush in and get yourself a swanky new garden gym or convert your garage, it’s important to be aware that you may need to get permission from different authorities before starting out.


Okay, first things first, to run a business from your home, you may need permission from your:

  • Mortgage provider or landlord
  • Local Planning Office
  • Local Council


  • Mortgage lender or landlord/freeholder - You’ll need your landlord’s written permission to run a business from a rented house. Further information about using your home to run a business may be contained in your mortgage or tenancy agreement. As such, this should be the first think on your checklist.


  • Local Planning Office - It’s a myth to suggest that every property in the UK has the benefit of permitted development rights, although providing certain rules are followed most garden rooms can be built without planning permission.
    Some local planning departments however have withdrawn permitted development rights so it’s always advisable to check before going ahead. Planning permission is always the responsibility of the householder so do an independent check. It could save you a lot of money and stress in the long run.


  • Local Council - Your council may refuse permission if they have reason to believe that your business will disturb your neighbours, or damage your home. If your business activities will lead to increased traffic or parking in a residential area. Or if it disturbs your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance, such as noise, or you are making major structural changes to your property, altering or extending it. This would be more applicable to a car mechanic than a Personal Trainer, but essentially this will be the decision of your Local authorities.


Providing you have the green light from the above authorities, then you are good to go and all you need to go through is your final checklist before you are ready for business.

Insurance Provider - Home insurance may not cover your business so as well as taking out liability insurance you may need contents insurance for your business

HM Revenue & Customs and an accountant, to see what your income, VAT and Capital Gains Tax position is

Valuation Office Agency (VOA) As you may have to pay business rates on the part of your property that you use for your business. Also you may qualify for small business rate relief if your property has a rateable value of £12,000 or less.



 Just like if you were going to open your own PT studio or gym, all the above would need to be considered, but once all permissions are granted you can experience all the incredible benefits of working from home, with the exciting knowledge that the home gym and all it’s contents is YOURS with no rent or payments, just pure business profit. Sound good?

It also adds around 10% to the property value so you will never lose out, even if you move house, meaning YOUR success with a PT business from home  truly are limitless!!



We specialise in home fitness solutions, and have vast experience in the dynamics of complexities of running of a successful gym.

By partnering with my eco space group, who design and manufacture garden gym’s and are experts in all aspects of planning, building regulations and ground analysis for foundations. 

Which means we are truly dedicated to help you comply and get a successful PT business running from the comfort of your own home, so don’t hesitate to ask about our services if this is something you wish to consider.



Back to main blog

TestimonialsWhat our clients say